Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Hero Quest Chapter 2 part 5

 John stood up and introduced himself. “My name is John Hero, and I work here.  Unfortunately, because many of our women are here in hiding from abusive situations I can’t confirm or deny that anyone is a guest here.  But you can feel free to leave a message and if she is one of our guests she will get the message.” 
“I know she is here.  How about you go get her?” the man replied evenly.  John stepped back a little bit and sized up the man.  He took up the entire doorway and even had to duck just a little bit to make it through without bonking his head.  Maggie stepped into John’s office, ready to call 911, but John motioned for her to hold tight. 
“You should know that forty percent of the ladies who stay here are coming from an abusive relationship so it offers a level of security for all of the ladies…” 
Sunlight came through a bit as the man moved out of the doorway. “I get it.”  John moved to shake the man’s hand but was dismissed. 
“Listen, she is not abused but she is mentally ill.  She needs her family.  I thought that this was some sort of Christian place.  I support this place with my donations and you won’t tell me if my daughter is here?”  The man argued.
John gave a slight smile; he had heard this sort of thing before.  “Imagine that your daughter is here and she was coming from an abusive relationship.  Wouldn’t you want that sort of policy to be in effect to help her out?”  The hulk of a man just glared at him.  “Look, I can see that you love your daughter.  If I were in your shoes I would want to know where she was too. But the best that I can offer is that if you can write her a note; I will get it to her.”  John maintained steady eye contact with him.
After a few moments of weighing his options, the man accepted a piece of paper and wrote a quick note.  “Here, now go take it to her.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment