Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Hero Quest Chapter 2 part 5

“That looks like Maddy’s toothbrush.  I was wondering where it went.  We already got a new one, thanks anyway.” 
Carefully, John put the sink back together.  “So where is your kids’ dad now?”
“About four months ago, Maddy started wetting the bed.  It came on kind of suddenly.  I was already miserable carrying around this baby, so lugging the sheets to the laundry mat nearly every day was exhausting.  After it went on for a couple of months she became emotional and really out of control.  One day she would eat like a horse and the next she would refuse to eat.  I never know which little girl I would see in the morning, an angry girl or a weepy girl and I rarely got to see my happy daughter.  Tyler didn’t want me to, but I found a counselor that would listen to us for free and it came out that Tyler was abusing her.  I thought that I was going to kill him.  He denied it, but something in me told me that it was true.  That’s when we took off and came here.  He still doesn’t know where to find us.  I’m afraid that some day he will follow her bus home from school.” 
John finished his work on the pipe and ran the water to make sure that the clog was indeed fixed.  He watched it for a few moments, seeing no leaks, and the drain running smoothly as he packed up his gear.  “I don’t blame you for being afraid.  But I can tell you this.  Even if he figures out where you are, I know that God will protect you here.”  The woman smiled.  John walked past her.  “I’ll be praying for your safety.”  He stepped out into the sunlight and took a deep breath of fresh cold air.  After crossing the parking lot he opened the lid to the dumpster and emptied the contents of the bucket.  John just shook his head at the junk this world could produce.
    ******************************************************
            Just a few blocks away from the Shelter, Sarah sat on the floor of a turn-of-the- century house.  Clothing, food scraps, cigarette butts and papers were everywhere.  The sound of cars racing by on the interstate meant that the television was turned up to decibel levels only found in nursing homes.  Many years ago, the landlord had given up fixing the house since the State had been planning on claiming imminent domain and tearing down the house for the freeway expansion.  On any given night about fifteen adults and seven children could be living in this dump.  In the back room, a young would- be scientist worked on his latest brew of methamphetamines. 
Sarah lit a cigarette and yawned loudly.  Her hands were trembling but she could not tell at this point if it was her emotions or the drug use.  In short order she had smoked three cigarettes and then looked around the room.  “Who is that guy sleeping in the hallway?” 
A scratchy voice from the lump on the couch answered her, “That’s my new boyfriend.  I met him on the bus this morning.  He said he wanted to marry me.  I brought him here to meet my friends but you’re the only one that’s awake.”
“What time is it?”
“It’s only about .”  The voice broke out into racking coughs. 
“Where are my kids?” Sarah wondered aloud. She hadn’t heard Michelle, Susie or Little Anton around lately.
The whole conversation had a dreamy sort of tone as if none of it was really happening.  Anyone watching the scene would have felt like they were watching a movie in slow motion. 
Suddenly sunlight burst into the room and a menacing figure appeared and quickly shut and locked the door behind him.  “What are you people doing in my house?”  The two ladies sat up a bit and looked at the figure, trying to make out what they were seeing.  Sarah’s face was filled with questions but none of them were spoken out loud.  The figure stepped over a mound of debris and flipped on a light, exposing complete squalor.  Light battled the gloom and revealed food wrappers, the floor obscured by rumpled clothing and other unidentifiable heaps.  A listless curtain, torn and frayed, hung desperately from a crooked rod. The battered furniture was better suited for the dump, heaped ashtrays, sat nearby and spilled onto dirty dishes. Both women complained bitterly, not because of the housekeeping, but because of the light.  They were not the only ones affected by the light, many people roused and moved from their burrows.   
“Hey, Mike,” smiled a clean-cut looking man of nearly thirty as he threw Mike a beer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment